"...because thou hast not murmured...I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them...and it came to pass that when my father heard these words he was exceedingly glad..."
I Nephi 3:6-8

2 months to go!

2 months to go!

Sunday, November 3, 2013

A Big Chunk of My Heart!

Well, it has already started!  Yesterday I said good bye, up close and personal to Mt. Cook.  A couple of weeks ago I said good bye to Moeraki Boulders and Oamaru.  Today, I started the long, painful process of good bye to a whole lot of people that I have come to know and to love.

I have been crying a good part of the day already.  I love this place so much and it is just dawning on me just how much.  I didn't really understand how attached you can get to some brothers and sisters that you had never known before in such a short time but then, I had never been on a mission before.  I had never committed my heart to spreading the gospel to everyone I meet, I had never been part of baptizing people into the true gospel of Christ in such a hands on way.  I will be leaving a big chunk of my heart here in a little place named Timaru.

Ken has always said that he could tell how successful a missionary has been by how they act when they get ready to leave and go home.  If they have a difficult time leaving, then they have truly served.   If you judge it in that way, our mission has been very successful at least for us.  My heart and mind have changed in so many ways that I can't count them.  My philosophy has changed, my understanding has changed, my desires have changed and I will never be the same again.  At least I certainly hope that I won't quickly slip back into my old ways.  That is the last thing I want.

Yes!  It has been the best of times and it has been very difficult at times.  I wouldn't dare to say that it has been the worst of times.  It has been nothing near the worst.  I guess it is a relative thing.  I do know that I am so blessed.  God has given me an opportunity that many do not receive.  I hope that I have been a profitable servant.  I know at least a few whose lives will be ever changed in part because Sister and Elder Jarvis came to a little town in New Zealand which they knew nothing about and opened their hearts and minds.  I now know what it truly is to trust in the Lord with all my heart and lean not unto mine own understanding.

I would never have chosen this place nor would I have put me in this particular place knowing what I know about me but the Lord and his servants knew more and I am the biggest beneficiary of this service.  I want to thank my sweetheart and my family for encouraging me to do this thing that seemed so very big at the outset but which became more and more comfortable as I watched the Lord's plan take shape.  I can honestly say that I have not had one minute of anxiety about coming here.  I do have anxiety about leaving, especially the people that we have baptized.  I do know that like Heavenly Father sent us on our own, it is time for these people to prove themselves herewith and I have to trust that they will do the right thing.

Yes, I can leave Mt. Cook and Moeraki Boulders, Oamaru, Waimate and Timaru, Dunedin and Christchurch and the gorgeous, gorgeous sea, the clouds, the flowers and the birds.  They will each keep a part of my heart but the biggest chunk will be with the beautiful friends I have made here in New Zealand.  I hope I don't waste a single minute that I have left.

No comments:

Post a Comment