"...because thou hast not murmured...I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them...and it came to pass that when my father heard these words he was exceedingly glad..."
I Nephi 3:6-8

2 months to go!

2 months to go!

Sunday, April 7, 2013

A Real Christmas Present

We've been waiting and waiting.  It seemed a long way off and now it is over.  We got our real Christmas present this weekend.  Just as at home, we got part of it on Christmas Eve (Apr. 5) and part on the real Christmas day (Apr. 6).  The baptisms and confirmations are over and all that is left is the satisfied feeling you get when you give someone the best Christmas present ever.

Friday, April 5, our sweet couple showed up to take that big step.  She simply glowed even though she was shaking in her shoes.  He was looking pretty great in his shirt, tie and jacket.  He was nervous too but not visibly shaking.  She is such a tiny thing and it was quite a chore to find some clothing for her to be baptized in.  We finally decided on some pants and one of my white shirts.  I had to hem the pants up about 8 inches.  He fit just right in one of the jumpsuits we have here at the branch.  There was much picture taking as is always the case and it kept everyone busy and semi-calm. 

It is a big step for anyone to take but for a couple who are 70 and 75 years old, it seemed even bigger.  When Elder Jarvis said the baptismal prayer, there was a huge pause in part of it.  I knew something was going on but didn't know what.  When I asked him later, he said it was like an electric shock shooting through his body the spirit was so apparent.  She came out of the water and hugged him tight.  He then went in and all went well.  Only one time apiece. 

The thing I wished most to have a picture of was too sacred to think of taking a picture.  It will always be in my mind.  Ken and I were the only ones who could see it.  As he came up the baptistery stairs, she hugged him and he hugged her tightly for a long time.  The tears were running down her face.  She had a smile as big as it could get.  I hugged them both.  If we had baptized no one else, it would have been worth it to see this one.  WAIT!  Haven't I said this before.  Interesting that the feeling has been the same with all of our baptisms.

The baptisms on the 6th were equally satisfying, a mother and her two beautiful children, 12 and 9.  They were all great but mom was the best.  She was shining as she came out of the font.  She is the mom that said to us, "Why wouldn't anyone want this for their family."  I remember saying to her, "I don't know.  Why wouldn't they?"

All of this has made so much sense to each of them.  There have been a couple of things involved in all of this that have been very apparent to me.  One was that these people really were prepared for this event in their lives.  Two was that I am married to a master teacher who takes full advantage of the spirit and the priesthood power he holds in knowing how to go about teaching what is necessary to bring these children of Heavenly Father along in the way they need to be brought.  What a good example he is to me and all of them of loving guidance.  I am still so grateful for this present I have been given this day after Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment