"...because thou hast not murmured...I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them...and it came to pass that when my father heard these words he was exceedingly glad..."
I Nephi 3:6-8

2 months to go!

2 months to go!

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Family Responsibility

It has been an interesting couple of weeks to say the least.  There have been so many ups and downs it's hard to believe.  We have spent some awesome moments with some wonderful people and when we do, we feel there is nothing better in the whole wide world.  We have had our share of worries and pain along with the rest of you.  There have been many times I have wondered how we can go on living life this way with all it's little intricacies.  I have pondered and wondered way more than I thought I ever would over questions that I hoped I would never have to ponder.

When 27 amazing people lost their lives in the states this week (yes Gordon, I agree there were 27 "victims") I thought my heart would break.  I could see my grandchildren, so many near that age and I longed to hold them and try to help them understand why this would happen.  I made a comment on facebook in reaction to another comment I saw and went before the firing squad.  I felt on the line for expressing an opinion and then reflected over and over about whether that opinion was valid in view of all the comments that were flung at me.  I only got one attempt to try to come to a concensus.  Thanks Randy.  I love you and agree with much that you said. 

Well, here is my opinion now.  If I could give up every firearm we own, and it would save one child, I would do it in a minute.  I am not naive enough to believe that it would change anything.  I truly believe that only through coming back to moral values and teaching our children in faith centered, family centered homes will there ever be a change.  That is consistent with my gospel beliefs and all that I have observed in my life outside my own personal beliefs.  I see much about me now that tells me that is not going to happen any time soon.  In the meantime, something has to change and it has to change quickly before too many more are lost.

For all of you gun lovers out there, I loved it when my family would gather at 3 in the morning to pack up their gear so they could go on a family oriented hunting trip to get meat and to share time.  Hunting is fast becoming a rich man's game like so many other sports.  One son did not even get a permit this year though he applied.  Our family has not been able to hunt together for many years now because money and "management" is controlling the game.  Fortunately, that is not all we do to keep our bonds tight.  We had guns to hunt and to target shoot and for keepsakes of better times.  Many of my family still enjoy hunting and I would never want to take that away from them.

Yes, people kill people.  We have had 4 suicides under the age of 15 here in little Timaru in the last two months.  I'm not sure but I think most were not from guns.  One woman here was killed with a knife the other day.  Gun laws are pretty strict.  Many of the police don't even want to carry guns.  There is a lot of violence against women, children and men against men.  Yet, so many things that tear the family apart are allowed here.  This is something that I hope I never will understand.  I hear constantly about parents drinking and doing drugs with children in the house.  I have seen a 10 year old walking around with a beer in his hand.  Children are passed around households like so much junk!  It is wrong!  I know it and they know it but yet it continues.  When parents start taking responsibility for themselves and their children, maybe this will stop.

Maybe people kill people rather than guns but having an assault rifle handy sure makes it easier to do a lot more damage to a lot more people.  I asked my husband to explain a point about "clips" in guns today because I didn't feel informed enough.  Shouldn't 4 bullets in a chamber or clip be enough to take down an animal if you are a decent hunter.  Why do you need to put 11 bullets into a small child?  Someone explain that to me and then I will see your point.  Until then, don't take me on about it buster!  This is my blog and this is my opinion so I shouldn't have to answer to anyone.  There is no reason under God's sky for anyone other than the military or police to have automatic weapons.  These are made for one thing, to take people down and you all know it.  Twenty children and 40 parents and who knows how many relatives and friends must now live with this.  THERE IS NO REASON FOR IT.  IT IS SENSELESS!!!

Again!  Explain to me why 20 children and 6 more innocent people had to die for one person's selfishness and I will change my mind.  There is not a quick fix.  Yes, get better help for mental health issues.  Yes, teach respect for life.  Yes, put controls on the violence our children are watching every day and so and so on.  Yes, allow us to protect ourselves.  YES, do something immediately to stop all this.  You and I know it isn't going to happen.  Only the people of America can really make it happen if they truly want to.  IT STARTS IN YOUR HOME!

No comments:

Post a Comment