"...because thou hast not murmured...I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them...and it came to pass that when my father heard these words he was exceedingly glad..."
I Nephi 3:6-8

2 months to go!

2 months to go!

Saturday, June 23, 2012

YYYYIIIIPPPPEEEE!

I never had an idea how isolated I could feel here without my internet.  Many things here are behind the times, almost like living when I was a kid.  Everything is cold, underwired, underinsulated or not at all, very small or wee as they like to say here and so on but the internet is an essential.  For a wee bit, I thought I wouldn't be able to get it here at our home but a nice young man came out, fixed the wiring and poof!  I am back with the world up north again.  It is wonderful that we can have communications from across the world and I hope I never take it for granted again.

 That said, the work here is fun and interesting.  We keep very busy.  There are always meetings to go to and people to go visit.  We have been greeted with open arms everywhere.  Even the people who are trying to hide from us, once they are found are very nice.  They let us know they are not interested but they are kind about it.  I love the Maori people.  Our branch president is Maori (pronounced very short ah, long o with a rolled r and long e, almost sounds moree).  He is the sweetest man and I have already grown to love his wife.  There is an active core here, about 50, who I already love and they are becoming committed to making the branch grow.  Our goal is to become a ward.

We have met some wonderful members and non-members alike.  Ken already has a good friend at the local furniture store who he talks about World War II with.  Forget furniture here.  A small couch and love seat start at $3000.  People here have very little furniture unless they are well to do. We met a darling, non-member couple at the family history center the other day and have been to their house.  They are "farm folk" as they put it and they really are but they live in what would be a million dollar house at home which they bought after selling their farm.  I have not had that much fun talking to someone in a very long time.  They are wonderful!  Ken calls my office "command central" but their place makes mine look amateur at best.  They have a dozen 3' to 30' satellite dishes they built, two dozen tv's and a real "command central" to run them all.  They get programs from all over the world including KBYU!  Their son came over and fixed our phone in about 10 minutes and "saved" our sanity.  I told her that they represent all the best of New Zealand to me and I really mean it!

We went visiting in a little place called Geraldine today, kind of a small resort town.  We met with a lovely Maori lady there named Virginia and found that she was raised in the area where great grandpa Jarvis served his mission.  We will be comparing notes.  She has been a widow only a little over a year.  Her husband was branch president here until he died.  She sent us to some non-member friends who Ken talked with and who invited us back.  On the way home, we drove to Ala Moana Gorge where we saw Red Stags, gorgeous dark green forests and a beautiful little fishing stream.  We stopped at the home of some Argentine members who are so sweet.  We than went to the beach.  The beaches are at the bottom of cliffs or are polished rock not sand and they really drop off.  Too cold right now for a walk but maybe in the summer.  We remarked how we saw parts of Wyoming, Utah and the northwest in the landscapes here only much more intense.   You can't believe how bright the sun is.  It is hard to describe!

It has been much less difficult for me to adjust than I thought it would be.  I am even getting used to the cold.  When I'm tempted to complain, I think of Amanda Barnes Smith and the pioneers and STOP IT!!!  I do miss the family, especially right after I get an e-mail or Skype.  Maybe homesickness just hasn't set in yet or maybe I am learning to trust the Lord's promises to us.  I hope it is the latter.  I love you all and am so grateful for the support from home.  You may never know how much it means to us that you have all supported this adventure for us.  So far, we are loving it!

1 comment:

  1. Your family is busy as a beehive over there keeping up on your yard. What good kids you have!

    ReplyDelete